Sep 3, 2010

Pit bulls and the rest of the world

My dog is a pit mix.  And while I love my dog completely and, according to my husband, may occasionally take her side over his (don't ask me how that happens, as I have yet to witness my dog and my husband have a disagreement that sides can be taken), she ... well, she's not exactly the most people friendly dog I've ever seen.

She was a rescue.  The rescue organization says she was literally like a possessed animal, and no, I don't mean in a good way.  They call her a "throw away dog," a dog someone got just to have a dog.  Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted her to be a fighting dog.  I'm pretty sure you don't dock a pit mix's tail unless you're trying to reduce... holds.  Or unless you're (understandably) crazy and think an unnecessary procedure is just the thing to put your dog through.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm kinda thankful someone did it to her, cuz i know she would've had one of those whip tails that does massive damage to people and things.

But that's neither here nor there.

With city after city banning pits and pit mixes, shelter after shelter denying them save haven, and report after report about the "evilness" of pits and pit mixes or their "naturally" vicious behavior... well, you know, sometimes a body just gets fed up.

I remember when dobermans were regarded in the press and public eye as the spawn of Satan.  Remember that anti-rottweiler craze there?

So here's what I have to say about that (and trust me, i've said it so many times other places that i don't even have to think while i type):

Pit bulls (and their mixed offspring) actually used to be called the “nanny breed” because they are absolutely loyal and devoted protectors.  The problem with the statistics is, I would bet you any amount of money, that
  • any animal will bite if provoked, mistreated, or fearful of their life for whatever reason
  • pits are too smart and loyal for their own good, so yes, they do need to be owned by an experienced dog owner who’s willing to give them the kind of training they need, and 
  • a lot of people aren't those owners, thus pit and pit mixes get thrown into the media frenzy because of some ding dongs.
Again, like my dog.  I’m probably not the best owner for her.  She needs training and socialization that I don’t have the money or time to get her.  However, whenever she is not in my house or my backyard, she is in her harness, on her leash.  If I think there’s going to be any situations that she’ll respond poorly too, she’ll be muzzled.  I don’t like to muzzle my dog, but she has some aggression issues that can lead her to… nibble with not happiness.  And again, time and money are tight.

What’s my final problem with all this slander against my dog’s breed?  Ohh you asked such an easy question, thank you, I’ll answer it right now instead of making you wait for another posting.

Due to cross breeding, the mix of breeds that went into what is currently called a “pit bull” or pit mix, and the tendency for those labels to be applied incorrectly, most people, even in the animal safety, animal protection, animal rescue/shelter field are most likely unable to have a 100% accuracy rate of determining what is a pit, a pit mix, and what isn’t.

What does that mean?  Simple.  Either a dog is labeled a pit/pit mix that isn’t or a pit/pit mix is labeled as something else.  That’s a warm fuzzy thought, isn’t it?  Wanna see some proof?  Go to http://www.pbrc.net/breedinfo.html and bone up on the breed info. 

Where did I get all my opinions?  Besides my own inflated ego and somewhat unhinged brain?

http://stopbsl.com/fortherecord/myths/
http://stopbsl.com/fortherecord/scientific-studies/
http://www.aspca.org/fight-animal-cruelty/dog-fighting/breed-specific-legislation.html
http://www.pbrc.net/breedspecific.html

Don’t trust me cuz you think I’m mental?  I can understand that.  I can respect that even.  Just do me a favor: go into your favorite search engine and type in “Breed Specific Legislation” and actually read some of the pages that come up.  Try to keep an open mind.  And if all else fails, remember, blaming the breed for an individual action of either a human or the animal is unfair.  Yes, I know life isn't fair.  But maybe it could be, if people started taking responsibilities for their own actions and we all worked together to MAKE it fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment